brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My lab had to have his tail bobbed. The tip turned black and

Customer Question

My lab had to have his tail bobbed. The tip turned black and my vet said he had to cut more off because the tissue was dying. He took off two more inches (last Friday night) and the tail is starting to turn black (on the tip) again. Is this normal? Do I need to go to a different vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
I have seen other issues like this with recurrent necrosis/tissue death of the tail tip after amputation.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
The blood supply of the tail is very delicate and easily disrupted. If your vet is using a tourniquet or dissecting too much tissue, it is very easy to cause loss of blood supply and subsequent tissue death.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Right now, I would simply wait to see how much of the tissue appears to necrose. If only a small amount turns black, we may be able to watch and wait. If there is no hemorrhage, we can see if the necrotic portion will slough like a scab and heal normally.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about my vet? Do you think it is indicative that he may not be very good at what he is doing? Two surgeries in 5 days? Also, the black area on his tail wasn't much bigger than a dime. You are saying that may have been okay, and would have fallen off naturally?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
At this point, we can't really say what would have happened with the first black spot. It may have continued to get bigger, we just don't know. I wouldn't say that a second surgery was wrong, but I do think that moving on to a third surgery may not be necessary. Also, he may have particularly delicate vessels, and then a third surgery could very well end with the same result.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
I would not consider the necrosis a sign that your vet is not a competent surgeon. This is the type of problem that we might expect secondary to a tail amputation, and it could happen to anyone. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
How is your boy's tail looking now?