Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I need advise about my 4 yr old gsd

Customer Question

I need advise about my 4 yr old gsd
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why wont he gain any weight his ribs show not bad but when he out walking and he weighs 70 lbs everyone says he to skinny he is a german purebred shepherd
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, if we have a dog with a good appetite who fails to put on weight, we need to make sure there are no underlying health reasons for this. Therefore, to start, I would advise making sure he is up to date on worming since these are a common cause for these signs in dogs. Further to that, you may want to consider having his vet check a general health blood profile when he is next at the vets. The reason is because this can catch any underlying low grade organ dysfunction (ie issues with the liver, kidneys, pancreas, etc) that could be contributing to his weight loss. Of course, at the same time, his vet can check that there are no signs of growths or tumors that could be stealing weight away from him despite his normal appetite and behavior. If all those can be ruled out, then we can focus on getting more weight on him through diet. Now we will be unlikely to change his preference for when he eats (as this is likely habit) but we can try to increase his weight by increasing his caloric content. To do so in a dog that perhaps has a good meal size and cannot physically eat more, we need to use foods that are higher in fat/calories/protein. Specifically, you can use nutrient rich critical care diets like Hill's A/D or Royal Canin Recovery. Otherwise, you can even start adding puppy food into his normal food. In the cases of all of these, they are more rich and nutritious (as they are intended for periods of life that require a high nutrient plane) and will have more nutrition per bite to thus translate to more intake for him and more building blocks for him to put on weight. So, while any of these diets would need to be slowly weaned into his normal diet, it would be a sneaky way to be feeding more nutrients without more bulk to the diet. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )