Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I took my dog to the vet today and now she has hives all over

Customer Question

I took my dog to the vet today and now she has hives all over her. She got an injection of a steroid and an anti nausea medication.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Have her hives started to settle with the treatment?How is she now?Do you have any specific questions about Polly or her situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She got the hives after seeing the vet. I took her to the vet for general sickness after about two days. She doesn't seem like she's in any immediate distress but I'm so concerned about her. Are there any over-the-counter home treatments I can try, or is this an emergency?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** breathing normally (~30 breaths per minute)?Are her gums pink?Did they say why they were using a steroid for her GI upset (though steroids are the treatment of choice for hives)?Do you know of anything she could have eaten or been in contact with that she may be allergic to (ie new carpet powders, laundry soaps, bees, wasps, etc)?