Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

An extra large german shepherd and a miniature dachshund ate

Customer Question

An extra large german shepherd and a miniature dachshund ate several 3MG Finasteride pills by accident. Are they ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to help you all today!Did this occur within the last hour? Luckily the most common side effect with this ingestion in dogs is stomach upset but I am going to confirm this in a few other sites. How much does your Mini Daschund weigh please?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Did this occur within the last hour? Luckily the most common side effect with this ingestion in dogs is stomach upset but I am going to confirm this in a few other sites. How much does your Mini Daschund weigh please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

11 pounds

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
OK great, and how long ago please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

70 minutes ago

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
The normal dose of finasteride at 1 mg/kg/day would be 5 mg/ day and typically will have no ill effects. Do you have any idea of how many could have been ingested? If several = a few and it was your Mini Daschund then we still will be alright...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
This is the link to the dosages listed: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/reproductive_system/prostatic_diseases/benign_prostatic_hyperplasia_in_small_animals.html?qt=&sc=&alt=
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
So in summary if this is a few tablets possibly ingested by your Mini Daschund you at worst will see some gi upset for 24 hours but if this is not subsiding and/ or progressing to discomfort, vomiting, reduced appetite I would advise a veterinary exam. As for your GSD I would not be concerned at all about this ingestion...Please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to view my additional responses today? Please let me know how else I can assist all of you this evening? If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening I wanted to check in on you all to make sure there are no ill effects from the medication ingested earlier? Can I assist with any additional questions? I am on-line another 30 minutes tonight if there is anything else I can do for you both?If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman