Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I tried to breed my 11 1/2 yr male Brittany this morning. The

Customer Question

I tried to breed my 11 1/2 yr male Brittany this morning. The female was flagging and ready, for sure. He was so interested but would mount her and try to enter but would then get off of her. He tried and tried. He bred this same bitch 1 year ago and no problems..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll try to help you out today. What comes to my mind is that he may now have back and/or hip pain. His hormones overcome his pain, but then he starts hurting too much in these areas and has to get down. This arthritis pain is pretty "normal" in older dogs. The best would be for your vet to prescribe a week of an NSAID like Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Metacam, and you can see how he does on that.Otherwise, you could have your vet do an artificial insemination (sounds like your dog is definitely capable of an erection and ejaculation, or if he needs help penetrating her you could guide his penis and help him stay mounted.Hope this helps, but please respond with any questions or concerns,Dr. Barbara