Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Just noticed my small mixed breed has bright red spots all

Customer Question

just noticed my small mixed breed has bright red spots all over her skin. I first noticed her ear a spot. I picked her up and she is covered in bright red spots. I have bathed her in flea shampoo, but its been about a week. No other chemicals I can think of. No change in diet. I will take her to the dr. tomorrow but was wondering how serious this is She is 1 and 1/2.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to help you both today!Is she itching at all?Two things I would be doing today if you are able:1.) Benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the redness and/ or itchiness. This might cause mild sedation2.) An oatmeal-based dog shampoo today with ten minute contact time before rinsing in cool waterThere are many causes of these spots which can include a reaction to something in her environment (eating a bug for example), an immune mediated condition (vasculitis, erythema multiforme to name a few), to possibly having a clotting disorder if exposed to rodenticide or another immune mediated condition. I definitely think a veterinary exam is warranted to hone in on the cause and get appropriate treatment but hopefully the shampoo (it is milder then a flea shampoo) and the benadryl will help reduce the redness and give her relief until you can see your veterinarian tomorrowPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today, any additional questions or concerns you may have. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!