Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Swollen cyst on leg. always had small cyst licking and making

Customer Question

swollen cyst on leg. always had small cyst licking and making it more inflamed. drinking water lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. THis cyst may be a small benign skin tumor , considering your girls age and once it ulcerates from the constant licking, these usually will need to be removed since it will not heal until this is done. It is best to have your vet examine this mass to know for sure. You are doing all the right things now but this may not help to heal this area if it is a tumor. You may want to place an Elizabethan collar on your girl to keep her aaway from licking this area and if this is merely due to irritation, it may heal well. Cover it with tape so your gal cannot get to it while using the anti bacterial ointment. If this is just infection, it may heal without having to remove the mass. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****