Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Border Terrier mix is having another bout of indigestion.

Customer Question

My Border Terrier mix is having another bout of indigestion. The last visit to his vet suggested I feed him boiled chicken. Lately he has been eating that mixed with Natural Balance small dog kibble and chopped parsley with small bits of steamed carrot.
Am I making him sick and what can I do tonight to relieve his discomfort and the terrible bloating?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you are making him sick. I just think it's going to take some work to find out what is triggering his indigestion. Some dogs develop indigestion from fat, some from allergic reactions to specific ingredients. So, sometimes a low fat diet helps, sometimes a hypoallergenic or novel protein diet works. The chicken and natural balance is probably pretty low fat. You could get and even more fat restricted diet if you went with a prescription diet, such as Purina EN. But I might consider going the hypoallergenic route to start.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
First question is..... dose he do fine when he is on chicken alone? If so then a low fat chicken based diet is ideal. I think Purina EN may be chicken based so you might cover both the low fat and have a protein he can tolerate. Give a diet 4-6 weeks as a diet trial and monitor closely.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Another thing you should be doing, and may be doing, is add a probiotic to the food... you can use active culture plain yoghurt or by a probiotic at the feed store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fine. I can do that. We have an appointment with his vet on. Monday, but how can I help him tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
As far as tonight goes, there isn't a lot to do other than to withhold food and feed liquids (such as chicken broth) for 24 hours. You could also give a dose of pepto bismo to settle his stomach. How much dose he weigh? I will get you a dose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
A dog that small can have half a tsp every 6 hours for 24 hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no Pepto but I do have Phillips liquid and tums taets
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I would do the tums.... 1/2 tablet every 8 hours in a small dog. I hope he feels better!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. And finally, could the carrots have been the problem?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Only if he has a carrot allergy, which is not common, but you might want to eliminate them during the diet trials. You could add them back once you find a diet that works and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant. Thank you so much. I suppose any flavor of the Tums will do ?
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
yes, any flavor is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great service. Thanks again and good night
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Good night!