Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog at platinum toy. Can I give her benifiber to thicken

Customer Question

My dog at platinum toy. Can I give her benifiber to thicken her stool so it slides out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. As long as she has no signs of a blockage from this toy (ie paling gums, vomiting, anorexia, belly discomfort, straining to pass feces, or passing black stools), you can try to encourage this to pass. You can add Benifibre or unflavored Metamucil to her food (use a 1/2 teaspoon) or you could also add a fiber food source (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin, all bran, wheetabix). This will help push the item through. As well, you can also add a fre milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, mineral oil, miralax, etc) to help the toy to slide through. If you do this for 24-48 hours, we should see the item passed. Again any sign of those red flag symptoms I mentioned and we'd have to be worried about a blockage and would want to plan to see her vet for an exam +/- xray. Still, hopefully with the above we can keep that toy moving and get her to pass it for us. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )