Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My shih Tzu had puppys 8 weeks ago. it wasn't easy

Customer Question

My shih Tzu had puppys 8 weeks ago. it wasn't easy for her she could feed them because it pull her calcium dropped to 4.6 so I had to take the puppys off her and feed them myself . She started losing her hair and is still losing it. before all this she had a beautiful double coat now she is almost bald. What can I do to help her get her hair back.
thank you Debbi
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that Izzy has lost her coat but I hope to reassure you that this phenomenon can be normal for some female dogs after they've had puppies and is secondary to hormones. Obviously not all dogs will lose their fur but some will do so...and some worse than others...but the ones with a double coat seem to be more affected. In most all cases, the hair will regrow although it can take time to do so. Since this is normal, there's not much that can be done except wait for the hair to grow back in. I've had a few owners give their dogs over the counter Melatonin but I can't say that it's been terribly effective. Or, if the owners thought so, I wondered if the hair regrowth that was seen would have happened anyway without giving this drug. But, if you'd like to try it, the dose would be 3 mg twice a day. Other possible causes of hair loss might be a hypothyroid condition and if suspected, there are tests which can be run to rule it out. Typically these dogs will also have weight gain and inability to lose weight, seek heat, might be lethargic in addition to their skin issues.But, the timing of her hair loss is more suggestive of a normal condition seen in females after they've whelped. I hope this helps to explain what you're seeing and to reassure you that it's normal. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so there isn't anything I can do

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, no, I'm sorry to say:(The hair will regrow eventually but if you plan to breed again, she'll probably lose her hair again since this pattern of hair loss tends to repeat itself.Since this is all hormonally related, the only "cure" would be to spay her after the hair regrows and not breed her again....although this may not be what you intended. Deb