How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4995
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We gave our dog raisins and when we realized the danger induced

Customer Question

We gave our dog raisins and when we realized the danger induced vomiting. I am not sure what else we can do. Do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I do have a few additional questions to ask first, if you don't mind: 1. How long ago did your dog eat the raisins?2. How many raisins did she eat?3. How much does she weigh?4. I assume you gave her 3% hydrogen peroxide? How much did you give her and when did you give it to her (how many minutes ago)? And did she vomit after you did? There may be a slight delay since I have to type up a response to you. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate about 24 about an hour and a half ago and weighs 40 lbs. I gave her a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and a little taste of syrup of ipecac. She vomited once and that so far is it
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. First, let me just say that not all dogs who eat raisins will experience kidney damage from eating them and we're not really certain as to why this is the case. Some dogs are obviously much more sensitive than others is about the best explanation that we can come up with. And, while a level of toxicity hasn't been exactly determined, in most cases a 40 lb dog would have to ingest at least 110-130 raisins for issues to be seen.Clearly, your girl didn't ingest even close to that amount. I wouldn't bother giving her another dose of peroxide although if I were going to advise you to do so, I'd probably give 1 tablespoon as opposed to one teaspoon (1 teaspoon for every 10 lbs of body weight which is 4 tsps or a little over 1 tbs.). It's highly unlikely that she'll suffer any ill effects from ingestion of this small number of raisins. I hope this reassures you that she should be fine. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your dog. I assume that she's fine but just wanted to double check that this is the case.
Deb