Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has been on rimadyl a few days but the need

Customer Question

my dog has been on rimadyl for just a few days but the need for him to sit on the rug and not able to stand for more than a few minutes... he was just at the vet and they trimmed him too close when they were trying to get a urine sample, they also expressed his anal glands. Since then he is losing coordination in his hind legs. Could this be the rimadyl?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Emily and would like to assist with your question today. I am a little uncertain, why was he started on Rimadyl to begin with? Rimadyl would not cause the side effects of losing coordination in the back legs. Something else is likely going on causing this whether age related (unsure how old your dog is), disc injury in the back, trauma, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He was born with hip issues, apparently he is bowlegged in the hind quarters. He was thrown out of a car, rescued by one owner and now we rescued him from that owner. We have had him for over 2 years. He was having occasional hip pain so the vet put him on the rimy del for pain. he is also now on thyroid meds for hypothyroidism. just started that today. it all happened after that visit on Wens. Thought it was just the cutting of the hair, but he seems to be losing more coordination in the hind legs.

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
How old would you estimate that he is and what breed/breeds he is?
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I agree that cutting the hair short can be very irritating to some dogs. My own dog acts like he has trouble walking if something like that is bothering him. However, I am worried that something more could be going on. It is odd that it all happened after the visit, especially if the vet did not notice weakness at that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought as did she, that the expressing of his anal glands might have made him irritated, that's why he wanted to sit all the time. They took him outside and the assistant called the doctor out to see this, and she said it might be that he is sore from the anal issue, because they were full. He is a long hair dog, and apparently from what I've been told is that they always leave hair on the end, and he is shaved close. I am concerned, talked to them the last couple days and this happened right after his visit. The hind leg issue bothers me... just seems to be getting worse. That's why I thought it might be meds. according to the paperwork with the Rimydel, that can happen, incoordination in dogs... just worried.... he won't even stand to drink or eat, of course I am spoiling him and bringing the bowls to him... lol, but he tried to eat standing, he's there for a minute and then he runs to sit down

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what paperwork they sent, but I disagree that incoordination is a side effect of rimadyl. It is of metronidazole and other meds but not rimadyl.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
The standing and sitting behavior is very typical of anal gland irritation, and less likely to be considered incoordination. what I worry about is ataxia -- staggered walking like drunk, having to catch himself when walking so that he doesn't fall, picking his feet up funny or placing them upside down. Does any of that occur? Also, can you estimate his age and breeds or at least size for me? It is very important.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, he is doing that.... the picking up of the feet when he is sitting down, he does walk like he is drunk, he is a Samoyed, he is obese according to the charts, he weighs 103 lbs. and he is 6