Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just found the residue of some kind of pill that has a salty

Customer Question

I just found the residue of some kind of pill that has a salty taste. Should I get her to an emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you know any tablets she could have gotten into (so we can assess her risk)?Do you think that she got this mystery tablet in the last 2 hours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She could have found one of my husband's pills on the floor. I cannot tell which one - what I found on a rug is white powder.

I am not sure when she found it. It could have been longer.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** cannot determine the type of tablet she could have gotten and therefore cannot assess the potential risk, it is best to err on the side of caution for Sophie. Therefore, you can certainly rush her to the ER vets or you can choose to try and limit harm at home by inducing vomiting +/- administering activated charcoal. I would say that if you think she may have gotten this in the past 2 hours, the inducing vomiting may be of benefit. If it has been longer, then activated charcoal would be the best option. Now to induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of her stomach and avoid any adverse issues As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal (this can be helpful up to 8 hours after ingestion. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy to bind any remaining material in her stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food or water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). It works to bind the non-absorbed material and can limit the dose she has had. Overall, in this case since we do not know what tablet she has gotten into, it'd be best to err on the side of caution for Sophie. Therefore, you can choose to take her to the ER or you can use the above to limit any risk for her. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )