Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I have a very sick puppy. We got her at 9 weeks old and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a very sick puppy. We got her at 9 weeks old and she is almost 11 weeks. She came home a happy energetic puppy and quickly became ill. We have been to the vet 7 times. She had deworming and was on metronidazole (made her sick, stopped giving it to her) She is currently on anti nausea medicine and Animax (had boils in her ears) as well as Panacur .5ml 1x a day for the next 5 days. She went from 2.9 lbs to 2.2 lbs. We are feeding her Royal canin recovery and nutrical every couple of hours through an oral syringe. She won't eat on her own, hasn't in weeks but drinks plenty of water. The only thing she wants to eat is dirt. She is still lethargic and sleeps a lot. She is an American eskimo (toy). We got her from a rescue home. All her x-rays and blood work were normal other than being full of worms. I just I could ask for a second opinion because the vet doesn't know what is wrong. She thinks it might be an immunity issue. She has solid poops. She pees clear and a lot. Is it just the worms wiping her out. How long will she be sick for? Any other advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed yesterday she also has allergies. She is licking a raw spot on her armpit and scratching a sore by her ear. Runny nose, stuffy nose, head shaking, biting at her feet. We have a topical antibiotic from vet we are going to rub on it and cover with a cotton tshirt. Maybe even put booties on her feet. It's heartbreaking to see her so miserable.
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting for an answer. She's not doing so well. I found an article yesterday about IMHA. She has all the symptoms. Im wondering if we give her foods rich in iron if it will make her better. she was full of hookworms and I think when she got her dewormer they took all her blood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try anything at this point.
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Michelle-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry to hear about your puppy and that there was not an expert available sooner. I am Dr. Emily and can assist if you still have questions.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
IMHA is an auto immune condition but it is readily diagnosed with blood work. The pet is typical very anemic. On your initial post, it started blood work was normal. Do you have access to this blood work? IMHA is not common in young puppies. Hookworms can cause similar signs, especially the anemia. Dogs are often very sick if they have a heavy load of hookworms because even after the worms are killed, the blood level can take time to return to normal.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Panacur is the appropriate treatment for hookworms as long as the proper dose is given, which the dose your dog is on is correct.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see how things were going. I hadn't heard back after I contacted you last. Do you have any questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry I didn't get back to you. Our puppy died. We tried everything we could, the vet said it was her immune system. Probably something she was born with. I was too upset to read the email as I got it right after. Thank you though for checking in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red blood cell count was slightly below normal. She just kept wasting away and then her skin started to break down
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry for your loss. I understand now why I hadn't heard from you. Please know I am thinking of you during this difficult time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.