Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Yes please! My dog was diagnosed with lymes 2 years ago and

Customer Question

yes please! My dog was diagnosed with lymes 2 years ago and he has had lameness or alternating limping of the legs for 2 months. He was treated with doxycline for the 2nd time but is not better.
Is there another antibiotic we could try?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years. I do have some questions that will help me understand what is going on.... Is your dog having any other symptoms besides the limping? Is he sick in any way or are the joints swollen? Has he had a lyme test recently? Do you know what kind of test... such as a C6?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Approx. 2 years ago he was diagnosed with lymes. I do not know what test they gave him. He was on doxycycline. Approx. 2 months ago he had the same symptoms. When he walks he limps and each day it may be a different leg. He is eating well. He just seems like he is in pain and not as active. He is happy when I get home but limping to greet me. My sister had doxycycline for their dog which ended up not having lymes and she did not use it so I started our dog on it and finished it. He seemed to do better but the first time he was on the antibiotics he was back to normal this time he is not. He finished the full course of 28day and now he is limping again. I can not tell if his joints are swollen. I believe they are.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Doxycycline is the best antibiotic for treating Lyme so I don't think that another antibiotic will helps. Lyme disease is a complicated disease and many dogs remain chronically infected even after treatment. This isn't because the antibiotic isn't working, it's just that the lyme disease can hide from the antibiotic. Treatment with anti inflammatory medication, such as Rimadyl or Metacam can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I get them over the counter or do I need to take him in?

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
It is also possible that the lyme disease has cause an immune attach on the joints and he would need something like prednisone, but usually there are obvious swollen joints when this happens. It is also possible that something else is causing the lameness.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
The anti inflammatories are prescription so you would have to go to the veterinarian to get them.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Dogs can take plain aspirin as an anti inflammatory, but they have a high rate of intestinal problems with it and it doesn't work as well so I don't recommend it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
Best wishes.