Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My rough collie came in from outside acting if he was going

Customer Question

My rough collie came in from outside acting if he was going to vomit. I quickly realized more than that. We live in desert of Arizona. I have been rinsing mouth for 15-20. He seems better but wonder what else I should look for? Should I stay up and watch him? He seems to be less agitated now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that it has taken me so long....I am hoping that your guy is doing better but if he is not, and still vomiting, then there is somethning he has ingested that may be toxic to him. The treatment for this is rinsing his mouth which you have done and then flushing his system with Pedialyte ,, givig 3-4 ounces every 4 hrs. Pepcid AC can be given at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs for any digestive disturbance. If there is a hint of a toxin, Activated charcoal can be given which is avilable at the pharmacy over the counter. Supportive care is very important. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****