Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is coughing and gagging and when I tried to clear her

Customer Question

My dog is coughing and gagging and when I tried to clear her throat she had some a little white foaming stuff she spit up. I am panicing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm Dr. Barbara and I'd be happy to help you and Lilyclaire tonight. To better understand your situation, is Lilyclaire breathing OK? Has her cough been going on for awhile, or is this new tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
started tonight, her breathing seemed labored only when she was in extreme distress.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when she brings up just a teaspoon or so of white spit then she is ok for a few min. I had notice for about a week her sort of doing the reverse sneeze when she had a treat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She sounds like a small child with the croup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like Lilyclaire has either an infection in her tonsils or pharynx, or has allergies, or has a foreign body stuck in her throat, very common in dogs this time of year. If she is still eating well, then I would try some Benadryl tonight to alleviate her allergies and help her rest. The dose is 1 mg/pound of body weight every 8 hours. If she is still having problems tomorrow, then I would have you vet take a look. To look in the back of her mouth and throat, your vet will most likely have to sedate her.Is she eating OK. . .in between the coughing/sneezing bouts?
Sorry, I'm not the speediest typer!How is Lilyclaire right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did not eat as usual today.
I put her on her back and held her and it stopped for now. She had been bad for about an hour or more prior.
To determine if she is in an emergency situation, I need to know if she can breath OK. Are her tongue and gums nicely pink or are they bluish (cyanotic)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has settled down a bit, if she can sleep for a bit, I can take her in tomorrow.
I was very scare a bit ago.
Totally understand! Glad that she is resting some. Right now, are her gums and tongue nice and pink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They look fairly normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again. she is resting for now and I can relax as well.
That's good to hear. I'd try the Benadryl. If this allergically caused then this will help her. It also has a sedative effect for peaceful sleep.I'm glad we were here!Good night.Dr. Barbara