Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is the Akebia quinata (5-leaf chocolate vine) toxic to dogs?

Customer Question

Is the Akebia quinata (5-leaf chocolate vine) toxic to dogs? If so, how seriously? Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. This plant is not listed as poisonous to dog on the ASPCA poisonous plants database which is a good starting point for such searches and is recommended for pet friendly gardens on sites such as this one : LINK 2. If your dog ingested a quantity of chocolate vine then you may see a mild gastro-enteritis but you should have no problems in terms of toxicity. Of course if any odd symptoms do arise then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay but this would be unlikely. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.