Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog, 16 months is occasionally waking up from a sleep, with

Customer Question

My dog, 16 months is occasionally waking up from a sleep, with back leg twitching, spasm. He is also urinating while this is happening. After a few minutes he get up and is totally fine. What do you think?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. What breed is your dog, perhaps a Labrador / Retriever ?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My dog is an Italian Spinone.

Hello again, sorry for the delay, I am in a different time zone to you and have just logged on first thing this morning and found your reply.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. What I would be suspicious of here is that your dog is suffering from some form of minor inherited epilepsy. Epilepsy in the dog is very variable and can range from very minor symptoms, much less than you are seeing through to full blown serious fits. This is a known inherited disease in your breed, you can confirm this HERE 2. The fact that it stared in this dog's age group, and it is associated with sleep, and the dog is involuntary urinating and then quickly recovers are quite typical of this sort of disease. 3. What to do about it? : All you can do here is to have your vet check your dog over to exclude any other causes and then if he is otherwise quite normal and the symptoms continue then this would be suggestive of minor { petit mal } inherited epilepsy. With minor cases which only happen now and again and it does not affect the dog too much it may be safe not to try any treatment but just observe your dog as such occurrences are rarely serious. But if symptoms get worse then there are a range of prescription anti-convulsive drugs which can be prescribed, however these are then given on a daily basis indefinitely. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?