Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

How much famotidine can I give my 63 lb golden retriever distress?

Customer Question

How much famotidine can I give my 63 lb golden retriever for digestive distress?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a roughly 60 pound dog could get about 30mg. For 20mg tablets, that is 1 and 1/2 tablets. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Emergency:If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea- poor appetite that persists- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain- bloated belly appearance or a tense bellyGood Luck!Dr. Andy