Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our Bichon has constant bad breath and when I rub his neck

Customer Question

Our Bichon has constant bad breath and when I rub his neck he seems to enjoy it quite a bit. Could there be something stuck in his throat. This has been constant since we rescued him in January.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, This is Dr. Gabby. How are his teeth? Any tartar or gum redness over the teeth? Does he cough or gag?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Been to a vet and she says the teeth are okay. Didn't know what causes the bad breath. No help at all.

When I say he seems to enjoy me rubbing his neck, I mean that his leg starts to twitch, even when I rub it hard. I don't feel anything unusual but I'm no dog expert.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Usually if there is something stuck in the throat then they drool because they can not swallow correctly. They also cough and gag. Especially when they eat or drink water. So it does not sound like something is stuck in the throat.However, a gastrointestinal infection can cause bad breath. If this were my dog, I would try a week of antibiotics.You could also try feeding a different food. Some foods cause worse breath than others. As an experiment, you could feed a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice for a few days. If that helps the breath, then you know it is the food.Does that help?