Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My young cow dog has come in with a swollen face, with no breathing

Customer Question

My young cow dog has come in with a swollen face, with no breathing difficulties as yet but very painful to move. She is drooling because it is too painful to lick or swallow. Her eyes look squinted from swelling. No puncture or apparent wounds. A bit away from nearest doctor. Recommendations?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. The big danger here would be snake bite, if the bite was in the mouth { drooling } then puncture marks can often be hard to see, but check out inside her mouth in any case. This situation does sound worse than the average allergic reaction or infection. If symptoms continue then you would be best to seek hands on veterinary help even if it means driving a distance. 2. In the meantime where swelling is present many owners would try Benadryl, this is often used for swelling related to sudden onset allergies and snake bite. A typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK The bot***** *****ne is that this does sound quite serious so it may be best to have your dog checked by a vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Sorry the link for Benadryl did not come through properly ... here is is again. LINK