Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My calamari on is possibly going into kidney failure. We are

Customer Question

My calamari on is possibly going into kidney failure. We are having a ultra sound done this coming Tuesday. What can we possibly do to treat her and make her comfortable. She is only 8 years old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that Calamari has a tentative diagnosis of kidney failure. I am sure that was surprising at her relatively young age.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Because she is a Dalmatian and they tend to form particular types of calculi called urate calculi which cannot be seen on radiographs an ultrasound is a great idea. If she is forming calculi (stones) and they are blocking urine flow in her kidneys and/or ureters or bladder that needs to be addressed.Her prognosis will depend upon several things including the cause (toxins or infections or calculi blocking urine flow causing acute failure tend to be more responsive and lead to a better long term prognosis if the dog responds to supportive therapy), her degree of failure (mildly elevated enzymes have a better long term prognosis then very high values), whether she is still eating or not (dogs that don't eat have a much poorer prognosis) and her response to therapy. Other complicating factors are if she has hypertension (high blood pressure) and whether she is spilling protein in his urine (which indicates more serious disease).
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
At this point it sounds like your veterinarian is on top of things and doing appropriate diagnostic testing to try and identify the cause, and thus direct treatment. Intravenous fluids are the fastest way to flush out renal toxins if she has elevated kidney enzyme levels. Dogs with acute failure whose values come down into the normal range, or close to it, with fluid therapy, are eating, and don't have large amounts of protein being spilled into their urine have the best prognosis. It may help you to look at this website which explains how kidney failure is staged in cats and dogs. The higher the stage the more severe failure is present and the more guarded his prognosis is: http://www.iris-kidney.com/pdf/IRIS2009_Staging_CKD.pdfThis may help you ask your veterinarian the right questions that will allow you a reasonable estimate of her prognosis.If she does have urate acid stones then she should be on a special diet to change urine pH and decrease the amount of building blocks in her diet that lead to the calculi being formed, antibiotics to treat the secondary urinary tract infections that often come along with calculi forming, as well as a medication to help keep her urine pH proper (Allopurinol).
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Depending upon where her failure has progressed to (blood enzyme levels), and whether she is hypertensive or is spilling protein long term therapy for this disease is subcutaneous fluid therapy at home if needed to keep the enzyme levels down, proper diet, medication to control hypertension and protein loss if present, phosphate binders if high phosphorus levels are present, and possibly allopurinol too.Supplements such as Azodyl to change gut bacteria to help decrease urea in the gut which would be absorbed into the blood, epakitin to decrease phosphorus levels and omega 3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation are commonly used as well.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.