Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What is the dosing and schedule on prednisone 40 lb

Customer Question

what is the dosing and schedule on prednisone for a 40 lb dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Dosing of that corticosteroid is based upon the disorder and the severity of that disorder that we're treating. Please tell me for what the prednisone is going to be used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Intense itching and scratching causing hair loss and a raw spot on her back.

Thank you for the additional information. I would initiate dosing in such a patient at 0.25 mg/lb once daily (10 mg once daily for a 40 lb dog). The dose is then tapered to the lowest effective one over a period of 2-3 weeks. I would make sure that a topical flea product such as the over the counter Advantage or Frontline spot-ons were administered in case a flea saliva allergy existed. Any secondary bacterial or yeast infection should be well-controlled prior to administering a steroid or, at least, therapy for those infections should be ongoing while prednisone is being administered. If the raw spot is on her saddle area, a flea saliva allergy should be our primary differential diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does 10 mg daily for one week, then 5 mg daily second week if responding, then 2 mg daily third week and stop? is this effective tapering?

That would be a good tapering schedule. If break-through symptoms arose, you would return to the previous dose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

I appreciate it. No need to reply at this time.