Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 11 year old female Shih Tzu who has trouble walking

Customer Question

I have an 11 year old female Shih Tzu who has trouble walking on her back legs. Has been to the vet and everything is in place. Prescribed mediation (Rimadyl). Seems to help some, but she still struggles every day especially in the morning or if she has been sleeping.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about your girl....Most likely your girl has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. or has aggravated arthritis. This is very common in older Shih Tzus because of their conformation. Since she does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain and discomfort. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The Rimadyl is a good anti inflammatory medication for this but if she is still in pain, your vet has stronger medications to help your sweet girl be more comfortable. If there is not significant improvement, ask your vet about this. In the meantime, do not allow your girl to climb stairs or jump up or down on anything to allow the disc and/or inflammation to heal. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****