Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a miniature terrier bout 8 yrs old she weighs bout

Customer Question

I have a miniature bull terrier bout 8 yrs old she weighs bout 35kg and is all white except for 2 black ear.... she has been constantly going round is circles as she had an itchy back.. whilst brushing her tonight I noticed lumps [little like a mozzie bite] sum where sores also probably from rolling and itching them... round the sores it look like dirt which it could very well be... I have bathed them in salt water and then put medical honey on them she seems more content,,, she hasn't lost her appetite and overall is happy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Did these lumps look red or like little pimples? Does she have a few or are the lumps and irritation very diffuse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has about 8 and they look like a mozzie/pimple until she itches then the turn in2 a sore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she cant reach so she goes on here back they seem to drive her mad
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** they do look like pimples, we likely have the start of a bacterial skin infection (a pyoderma). If it had just been red spots that didn't open into sores, we'd be more concerned about skin irritation without infection. Now if there are only ~8, then we can try to nip this in the bud for her. To start, we can keep topically treating them as you are. But if they are very irritated, you can also alternate the honey with OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe irritation and itchiness for her. As well, oatmeal based or emollient shampoos can help soothe that irritation while you tackle the infection. And if she can rub these areas (even if she cannot directly reach), consider putting a t-shirt +/- reversed boxer shorts to keep the affected skin protected from any self-trauma. Finally, since she is so irritated and often there is an underlying allergy component to these issues, we can consider trying her on an antihistamine. These can help settle allergic skin reaction and may just be enough to help settle her skin. Most often we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any low grad irritation and give her skin the chance in needs to settle. We like to keep the dose low in dog, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if she has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to her vet. Of course, if you find her itchiness is very severe, then sometime we will need their vets to put them on a short course of steroids to halt the allergic itchiness cycle they are caught in. Overall, her signs sound like she is starting to develop a secondary pyoderma at this stage and may have had an initial allergy based trigger for her skin irritation. So, keep up the good work on your skin spot treatments but do consider adding in the antihistamines and hydrocortisone cream to give her some more relief. Because if you can keep these clean and settle the itch, we would expect to see this settle for her. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, All the best,Dr. B.