Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I noticed a bump on my dogs snout by her whisker area and

Customer Question

Hi I noticed a bump on my dogs snout by her whisker area and a sharp small piece of something sticking out. Idk if its a tick or a bee sting or what. She's in a lot of pain and won't let me get a good look at it. Should I take her to the vet or does this sound like a whisker growing in that may be enflamed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In this situation, with a suddenly painful bump on her snout, we'd be more concerned about a sting or trauma as opposed to a ingrown whisker (which would have been a chronic progressive discomfort not suddenly sore. Now with all this in mind, I would note that you can try her with a low dose of antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine for these cases (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of her body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that irritation for her and give you a chance to examine the area. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lass has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. As long as she settles with this and you can remove that stuck foreign body +/- salt water bathe any wee wound present; then we'd be happy. Of course, if she remains sore, then we may need to consider a visit to her vet for an exam plus injectable pain relief to soothe her discomfort and get this settled for her. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet