Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr Harry, I have a 10yr old female llapso apso with Maltese,

Customer Question

Dr Harry, I have a 10yr old female llapso apso with Maltese, she is small dog loves cuddles and never leaves me. In march she was diagnosed with a liver disease, which hurts me real bad. At present I was told to give her milk thistle tablets,only one per day with her evening meal.
She gets a variety of meals, e.g. Chicken meat, rice, veggies that's evening meal. In the morning half a smacks, and a hand full of my dog biscuits, also drinks more than she ever has and try's without success for more food.
Dr Harry am I doing the right thing for her and have you a better solution.
Hope to hear from you, it breaks my heart seeing her like this, cheers ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of Molly's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. We do see increased thirst and volume of urine with some liver disorders but increased appetite isn't expected. The combination of increased thirst, volume of urine, and appetite suggests diabetes mellitus or Cushing's disease instead.