Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an approximately 13 week old puppy who weighs 14.7 lbs

Customer Question

I have an approximately 13 week old puppy who weighs 14.7 lbs who I adopted for NSALA. She had a cold they r/o kennel cough but gave her 75mg /day doxycycline for 10 days. Im concerned this is too much for her; day 7 she is extremely lethargic but eating drinking and toileting. This drug is extremely toxic!! I'm an oncology nurse and I'm concerned about the side effects but also feel this dose is extreme. Vet said he believed it as viral but would recommend this anyway. So... Doxycycline doesn't help if it's viral. Can I please get your opinion
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now Doxycycline won' t be directly helpful if a virus is causing her signs. That said, it is a good broad spectrum antibiotic for mycoplasma, common bacterial causes for upper respiratory tract infections, and will reduce the risk of secondary bacterial opportunistic infections (often what makes viral infections all the worse). And that is likely the reason combined with trying to keep costs down (with further testing) that your vet will have covered their bacterial bases as well. And this is often done (even in people) due to cultures/testing also taking time (sometimes weeks) that our patients may not really have to delay treatment for. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** dosing query, the dose she is being given is reasonable. Though you could reduce it to 10mg/kg once daily if you prefer to offer the lower end of the dosing range. Or if you are concerned about side effects (which we don't actually see much of in dogs), you can request that they use an alternative broad spectrum (ie Amoxicillin with clavulanate) to be dispensed and used to rule out bacterial agents. Finally, since supportive care is often as important as antibiotics, I would just note that if she is still actively coughing, you can use some home supportive treatments. Specifically, you can try her on a mild cough suppressant like glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce any possible irritation driving her to cough. Furthermore, if she has a throat irritation, then soaking her kibble or offering soft foods may also help reduce her signs. Overall, the dose is not dangerously high and this does tend to be a drug that is fairly well tolerated in dogs. Still, if you are not comfortable with the treatment, your lass is still subdued and not improving after a week's course, and her vet suspects viral agents; then do contact her vet and see about further testing and/or trying an antibiotic that would be gentler on her system. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )