Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12 yr old Maltese was fine all day. Now that it is Night

Customer Question

My 12 yr old Maltese was fine all day. Now that it is Night time, her breathing is heavy and she sounds uncomfortable. I woke her up but she gave me a dazed look and went right back to sleep.even awake she was breathing hard.
.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. "Heavy breathing" at 12 years of age is worrisome for congestive heart failure, a sterile chronic bronchitis, and even neoplasia in the thorax (chest). Heartworm disease should be considered as well predicated upon where you live. Mia's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including X-rays of Mia's heart and lungs. I regret that I can't be more specific for you from here. I recommend having Mia attended to at your earliest convenience. Such breathing could be life-threatening.