Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We are puppy-sitting our daughter's less-than-one-year-old

Customer Question

We are puppy-sitting our daughter's less-than-one-year-old French Bulldog. We love
this little guy tremendously but find it almost intolerable to have him among us due
to his incessant gas passing. It's almost continual and definitely awful smelling.
We've been feeding him 'Rachel Ray' brand 'Nutrish' zero grain, turkey and potato
dog food. Is there some other kind of food we should switch to or might there be
some other cause for all this gas? Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...Abnormal gas and flatulence can often be the result of abnormal fermentation of his food stuffs, while this is unpleasant for you it is rarely a serious situation for him. I have advised clients on this subject many times in the past, your options are limited but here are some suggestions to consider. Of course if the problem does not clear up or your dog deteriorates you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.1. Live yogurt added to the food on a daily basis can often help. Some flatulence situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day would be fine for a dog of his size.2. Try adding activated charcoal or charcoal biscuits to your dog's diet, this is an old but effective remedy for flatulence. You can get these from better pet stores.3. Get your dog on a more highly digestible diet, one of the Hills Prescription range may be suitable, your vet will supply this and advise and you can also get suitable diets from better pet stores. This is along term change though.4. Feed your dog a number of smaller meals in the day rather than one large one, this can also sometimes help.5. You can use the likes of Beano for dogs, it is a digestive enzyme, and has a very high margin of safety. You can give 1/2 tablet with every meal for a dog the size of yours. Give it a week to see if there is improvement, though you may find it helps after even one dose. There is also a dog version of Beano called Cur Tail which you may be able to get at larger pet stores.6. Here is a link to an accurate web on the subject so you can research things further ... LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue.How did things go?Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.