Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Is it ok to give a old dog (0ver ten years) a baby aspirin

Customer Question

Is it ok to give a old dog (0ver ten years) a baby aspirin if he is stiff and sore with
Arthritis..? What dosages? Would twice a day , morning and evening be too much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, both aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food twice daily and acetaminophen at a dose of 7 mg/lb thrice daily are safe. Avoid ibuprofen and naproxen - both of which are toxic to dogs. Here's my complete synopsis of osteoarthritis in our dogs for you:We use a multimodal approach to osteoarthritis in our dogs - dietary management, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory pain relief, neutraceuticals, life-style changes and stem cell therapy. When used concomitantly these approaches should synergize and provide the best control of symptoms. For example, Jake might show considerable improvement if you add fish oil to his diet. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are anti-inflammatory. I use the cost-effective generic human fish oils and dose them at 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil. You'll find the amount of EPA on the label of the fish oil product.Avoid flax oil because it is poorly bioavailable to dogs. They can't metabolize it properly.If you prefer, there are diets that are extremely high in omega-3 fatty acids. Hill's Prescription Diet j/d is one such diet.Many vets feel that injections of Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) work better than oral neutraceuticals such as glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate. Adequan is injected into Jake weekly for a number of weeks at his vet's discretion. You can read more about Adequan here: http://www.adequancanine.us/Regenerative stem cell therapy has come into its own and is now available for addressing osteoarthritis in dogs . Please see Vet-Stem's website here for more information: infoatvet-stemdotcom. The regenerative stem cells are created from Jake's fat cells and are capable of differentiating into a variety of tissue types including tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, and muscle and have been proven to reduce pain and inflammation.We have to suspect that just as in people, geriatric osteoarthritis in dogs is painful. If a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs such as the prescription carprofen or meloxicam isn't sufficient for controlling pain, please consider adding a well-tolerated narcotic such as tramadol to the therapies mentioned above.Weight reduction is essential. The less weight his joints need to carry, the better.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it correct I have access to more answers about jake for one week.?
With this $24 contract?
I'm not privy to the financial arrangement you have with the site. My moderator has asked me to tell customers that new questions unrelated to the initial question should be presented in a new conversation. For more information, please contact supportatjustanswerdotcom.