Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog recently has be having bowel accidents. She drinks

Customer Question

My dog recently has be having bowel accidents. She drinks lots of water every time she is out and for the past week she does not eat all of her food. She also has really bad gas??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: Have her stools been loose or diarrhea?Has she had any vomiting, lip lipcking, gagging, retching, or gulping?Has she been drinking more only since she started eat less and having accidents?Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her stools are any where from very soft to diaherria. Her gums are a light pink color and not sticky. She has always drank al lot of water but now she will just sit and drank water until its time to come in. Her belly is not tender or distended. She always be one to eat grass, sticks, dirt roots,mulch. Pretty much anything outside. She had never been one to play with toys or bones. She would rather go outside and eat a stick but she has been doing that since she was a puppy and I can't break her of it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Bridgett.While the fecal accidents are the most noticible of her signs, her long term increased thirst at her age is a significant worry. And while I suspect her loose stools are the cause of some of her increased thirst and her accidents; I suspect there is more afoot. Specifically, we can see increased thirst (and increased risk of catching GI bugs) in dogs that have metabolic diseases (ie diabetes, Cushings, Addisons) and those with organ issues (ie heart, liver, kidney disease). As well, I do have to warn that this can sometimes also be a sign of cancer (ie those that elevate the bloods calcium like lymphoma or anal gland adenocarcinomas) in some cases.With this in mind, I do have to say that a check with her vet would be prudent. If she is due for a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up. Ideally, her vet will be able to have a feel of her and just make sure there are no sinister lumps and bumps to blame for her signs. As well, you may consider having the vet check a blood or urine sample at this stage to give you an idea if her organs are in distress or if a hormonal issue is to blame for her signs.Now in her situation, I would say that blood sample is ideal here. It would allow you to identify any organ dysfunction and would allow you to appreciate how severe it may be. As well, hormonal diseases like Cushing's and hypothyroidism can give your vet hints that they are present on routine bloods (though determining how severe and therefore how much medication she requires may require a second blood sample to test for the hormone that is suspect).That said, if costs are a concern or you wanted to take things slowly, then a urine sample can be an economical and non-invasive means of ruling out some of our concerns. For example, urine can be tested in-house by the vet to check for signs of diabetes (ie. sugar in the urine), urinary based infection (ie bacteria, white blood cells), as well as check its specific gravity (how concentrated it is) that can tell us if there are problems with her kidneys lurking. So, this would be a non-invasive means to start ruling out some of the above triggers for her signs. Depending on the findings of your vet's exam and bloods/urine, you will be in a position to know which of these concerns are affecting her, how you can best address them, and what her long term prognosis may be.Otherwise, we do need to also address that loose stool for her. As I noted, this is often the trigger for fecal accidents in dogs that were previously house trained. In regard to helping to reduce this, we'd want to first consider putting her on a light diet that is easy for her compromised GI to digest. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals to let her gut fully digest what it is fed (and thus lose less to diarrhea) and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet. Finally, you can consider using an anti-diarrheal treatment here for her. These can can be used in dogs to slow things down for their gut if her stools are very runny. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure (since cures would depend on the culprit and might include antibiotics or anti-parasitics, etc.) but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are: *Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx ) or * PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx#.VDp9WBZYxaQ ) Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Propectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which can be found OTC at vets, some pet stores, or even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and these last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. Overall, we would use the above to address those signs she is currently showing and help reduce her loose stools and fecal accidents. That said, we need to be wary of her chronic increased thirst as this likely means there is an underlying issue present that is weakening her immune system. Therefore, do consider the above for her GI signs but also consider having a check-up +/- those other tests to pinpoint what is causing that abnormal thirst to see if you can address it for her and prevent her immune system to falling prey to GI bugs as it is currently. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bridgett. How is everything going?

nekovet