How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4997
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 8 week old pup drank some windshield washer fluid last night , she has had liquid stool

Customer Question

My 8 week old pup drank some windshield washer fluid last night , she has had liquid stools since . She's acting normal as can be . What can I do for her liquid stools ? & on top of it all , she got into my other dogs adult dog food
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Windshield washer fluid usually contains methanol (wood alcohol) - a very toxic alcohol in even small amounts. Ethylene glycol can be present in the fluid as well - another dangerous alcohol. Can you tell me the ingredients in your product, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not . We own our own business , mechanic business . & what she got into is at he shop . I didn't find out this happened until today when one of the mechanics told me :(
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I understand. The usual symptoms of toxicity from this fluid include vomiting, signs of abdominal pain, low blood pressure, increased heart rate, central nervous system depression, ataxia, vocalization, dehydration, low body temperature, disorientation and even coma - none of which have appeared and so I can't imagine that she ingested much of that fluid. I don't want her diarrhea to be addressed with drugs that slow the motility of her gut. I want her to readily excrete whatever she ingested. Her GI tract should normalize unaided once toxins are gone. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only thing that has changed , is that she has liquid stools. No other changes at all. She still wants to eat and play and run around like her normal self. So I just let it run its coarse? When should it stop? When should I go to the vet if it doesn't stop?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
That's a very positive history. Yes, I'd prefer that you didn't dose her with any oral antidiarrheals. If you didn't see improvement in her stools within 72 hours post-ingestion, please have her vet take a look at her. I'd like to hear from you tomorrow after you take a look at the label of that product, please. You should be able to return to this conservation...at least you used to be able to; today is the first day of a week's test of a new protocol for us. Please contact supportatjustanswerdotcom (spelled out because I'm not allowed to type it regularly apparently (sigh)) for more information regarding this. I'm not privy to the customer's page.