How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4997
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 1200mg of my chelated magnesium citrate pills, should

Customer Question

My dog ate 1200mg of my chelated magnesium citrate pills, should i be worried? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
The large dose of magnesium citrate is likely to act as a saline cathartic rather than completely absorbed through his gastrointestinal tract. Except for possible cramping and nausea, adverse effects in otherwise healthy patients generally occur only with saline cathartics with chronic use or chronic overdoses A single overdose can still cause electrolyte disturbances - hypermagnesemia, in this case, which is manifested by muscle weakness, ECG changes, and depression. If it's been less than an hour since he ingested the pill, it would be prudent to induce emesis by dosing him with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of one measuring teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight by means of a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please give the same dose once again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it's been moRe than an hour, should I try the peroxide anyway? What if she doesn't vomit?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
If it's been over a two hours and she has remained asymptomatic, please don't induce emesis. The pill is likely to already have passed into her small intestine. If it's been near an hour post-ingestion, it would be prudent to induce emesis. If she doesn't vomit, please give the same dose again. Keep me posted, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had been over 2 hours. Should I expect her to have severe diarrhea?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I would expect diarrhea, yes. Magnesium is quite a laxative! Of course that which isn't absorbed isn't going to contribute to the toxicity associated with hypermagnesemia...which is rarely a problem with a single overdose in any event.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions