Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My 4 year old chihuahua is acting funny, like yelping randomly,

Customer Question

My 4 year old chihuahua is acting funny, like yelping randomly, being really shaky, and being real anti social like hiding under bed! But will allow you to hold him, but still shaky like a feverish!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Is he eating and drinking normally?Any vomiting or diarrhea?Does he seem to be having trouble jumping and walking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eating and drinking normally. No vomiting or diarrhea. When he walks he is walking slow and seems as if he is staying low to the ground
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am very sorry to hear that he is yelping randomly and is quite shaky. His symptoms are consistent with pain or discomfort. Since he is eating and drinking normally and is walking very slowly, I would be concerned that the pain is coming from his back or neck area which is unfortunately quite common in small breed dogs.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
This can be due to multiple reasons, here are some of the possibilities: - IVDD - intervertebral disc disease - basically a bulging disc in the spine that causes some pressure on the spinal cord, back muscles. This can be mild enough to cause some pain or unfortunately more severe to where the disc material pushes on the spinal cord enough to cause paralysis to the back legs. - Muscle strain/sprain or soft tissue injury - This is the same thing that happens commonly in people. The muscles tighten up and can cause quite a bit of discomfort. Other possibilities such as tick borne diseases, trauma to the bones and infections are possible but are less common. At this point, resting him is the best way to make sure that he does not get worse. I would definitely recommend talking to your vet tomorrow for some pain medications for him as this is what he will need, but you can give him some aspirin tonight. His dose would be 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. This should help with some of the pain. Aspirin is usually very safe though some dogs will develop an upset stomach therefore I would recommend stopping the aspirin if you see any vomiting or diarrhea. Make sure that he does not start dragging his legs on the floor behind him as this would indicate a worse problem. If this is seen he should be seen by a veterinarian tonight.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt