Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

4 year old male toy poodle recently just started showing

Customer Question

4 year old male toy poodle recently just started showing signs something was hurting him he would be walking in the house and let out a yelp then looked to be scared and go lay down. took him to a local vet and they took temp, felt all over his body but nothing that would suggest he hurt him self . let him out to play in yard he lloked fine but did not want to go back inside. had to pick him up...????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I've been a licensed veterinarian for over 35 years. Hopefully, we'll be able to resolve your little guys problem.The first thing that comes to my mind with how you dog is reluctant to go into your house, is that you have fleas in your house. Dogs and cats can be very uncomfortable with fleas and will do their best to avoid flea infested areas. Is your little guy itchy at all? Any hair loss or lesions on his skin? Just in general, is he eating well? Does he have any vomiting or diarrhea? Is he limping or reluctant to jump up on the furniture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no fleas, very clean home. when my wife gets home from work he just follows her around the house and when she sits down he wants to lay beside her. the other vet said he may have hurt him self jumping up or down from furniture. no hair loss. eats pretty good , we feed them both Primal dog food it comes as frozen cubes. wife said he does good when she took him out in the front yard he looked happy, but he didn't wanna go back inside. just not sure would a vet neurologist be able to look him over better than a normal vet, ????
If he had signs of neurological pain or deficits. . .yes. Is he able to walk OK. Is he willing to go up and down stairs. Is he able to jump up and down off furniture now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he does jump up and down now, and seems to be walking ok now. but it like sometimes when he walks he'll let out a yelp like something hurt him and then he walks away like he scared and goes and lay down, just not sure what to do or who could really examine him.to find out
So glad that he seems well now. When dogs are acting like him, our first thought is a back condition. But if he is jumping up and down without reluctance or yelping, then I think his back is fine. Another common source of pain are anal glands. Is he scooting or licking under his tail more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it be a good idea to let a vet neurologist see him. ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and if so could you recommend one in the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area ?
I think that a veterinary internist would be better for you, so that they could give you a second specialist opinion. I don't think a neurologist is the next place to go, and an internist will be specialized in sorting out what your little guy's problem is and either be able to diagnose and address those issues, or be able to refer you on to the necessary specialist. I just really think you need a second opinion.I will look in the Baton Rouge area on line to see who is available. Hope it is OK with you. . .I'll look tomorrow AM. I'm in California and it is 9 PM here. . .so Midnight for you! Get back to you tomorrow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you if you cant reach me please msg me ***-***-**** again thank you
I'll have to reach you on here. . .any phone numbers or email addresses are blocked. I'll look tomorrow and get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are welcome!!! I'll check the Baton Rouge area tomorrow and let you know. Of course, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or updates.Until tomorrow,Dr. Barbara