Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dogs eye bleeding

Customer Question

I came home to my dogs eye completely red in the white of his eye. It's bloody, he has bloody tears to. He has a history of ulcers in his eyes and lost one of his eyes to a really bad ulcer. He has had excessive stinky mucus coming get his eye for a couple years. I have to clean his eye at least twice a week because the smell is unbearable. I just want to know what could be causing this and if I should put him down. He has a history of seizures, low blood sugur, tumors, ulcers, heart murmur, low blood sugar. He has a seizure two weeks ago and went unconscious. It's a lot to handle

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The best scenario is scleral hemorrhage caused by subcutaneous rupture of a small vessel just under the clear membrane of the eye. These don't need treatment other than the tincture of time. Mimi's extensive history of ocular disease, however, suggests that such an innocuous problem isn't likely. A "red eye" can result from many intraocular disorders including uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) and glaucoma. You'll need to have Mimi's vet carefully examine this eye. I can't evaluate it properly from here. I understand your feelings at this time. When a pet's quality of life is unacceptable and/or an owner isn't able to cope with their pet any longer, removing the pet from the home becomes a reasonable option. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.