DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

I just got a 4 month old pitt puppy and she scratches all the

Customer Question

I just got a 4 month old pitt puppy and she scratches all the time ive tried everthing.and she is getting thin hair spots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. It is very common for puppies to have demodex mites which make them very itchy. Dont worry, they are not contagious to people. But you do need to see a vet to have them treated. You can not see them with the naked eye. The vet will diagnose them off a skin scraping that is looked at under the microscope.Other possibilities include: fleas (may be visible to the naked eye on the belly or around the face), skin allergies, puppy dermatitis (usually you will see red skin and bumps on the belly) or other types of mites like chorioptes.I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any other questions.