Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a circle around his right eye that has lost hair

Customer Question

My dog has a circle around his right eye that has lost hair and is cracked from being so dry
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Periocular (a "circle" around the eye) alopecia is most often associated with demodicosis (the Demodex mange mite) but can also result from atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and bacterial infections secondary to persistent drainage from an eye. In the latter case, the ocular problem would need to be clarified and successfully treated before Bocephus's periocular skin could improve. His vet will need to first perform a careful examination of the eye itself and if nothing untoward is found, skin scrape the periocular area looking for Demodex and perform a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of skin surface) for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast and then treat accordingly. Atopy is unlikely if just one eye is involved. Can you upload a photo of this eye to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.