Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog & I live at Clearlake, CA and he apparently has gotten

Customer Question

My dog & I live at Clearlake, CA and he apparently has gotten a wild oat up his nose and as much as he tries to sneeze it out, he can't get it out. I've tried to get him to drink more water several times, thinking that might help, but he obviously knows it won't help. Can I help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I use to work at Yokayo Veterinary Center in Ukiah. Foxtails kept us in business. The only manner in which you can help him is to have his vet anesthetize him and extract that foxtail and that should be done at your earliest convenience before that foxtail moves further back into his nose and becomes more difficult to find.
These foxtails can continue to migrate through the nose and eventually fall off into the back of the throat and be swallowed. Unfortunately, that's not a given and so it's not prudent to wait to see if that occurs. Foxtails can become entrapped and end up abscessing the nasal cavity.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.