Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

6 year old ***** *****. Every night this week, she has gotten

Customer Question

6 year old ***** *****. Every night this week, she has gotten out of bed (she sleeps under the covers like most JRTs), jumps down and throws up. This is between 515 and 630 AM. She is fed twice a day and at night usually between 5 and 6 PM. Except for this problem she seems 100% fine and normal. Vomitus is yellow fluid without solid material. This disturbs my sleep and worries me as to what is wrong. Wondering if I should try famotidine with PM feeding.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now when an otherwise healthy dog starts to vomit in the early hours of the morning and no other time, this can be a sign of bilious vomiting syndrome. This is a condition that we commonly see and is due to bile reflux into the stomach. When this happens, we see stomach upset and the dog will vomit contents of their empty stomach (yellow bile).
To tackle this condition, we tend to just need to feed them a bit later at night (ie a bedtime snack) or earlier in the morning (ideally prior to the vomiting time). This just reduces the amount of time the stomach is empty and reflux can irritate the stomach wall and induce these signs.
As well, you are thinking on the right track there, as we can alternative reduce these signs by offering an antacid before bedtime to keep her stomach settled. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Famotidine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) would certainly be an option or you could choose to use Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). In either case, you can just offer this prior to bed time. Of course, you will want to double check with your vet if she has any pre-existing conditions or is on any medications.
If you try this and the vomiting doesn't settle, then we'd have to consider that she may have something more serious lurking despite her lack of other clinical signs. I would be less concerned about this here but would note that there are other conditions that can also manifest as chronic intermittent low grade vomiting. Examples include grumbling bacterial infections, dietary sensitivity, parasitic infestations, pancreatitis, metabolic conditions, or organ troubles. And in that case, if she didn't settle with the above, that would be our cue to be proactive and have her examined by his vet. They will be able to assess her for any lumps or bumps and you can also have them check a blood sample to make sure there are no underlying organ or metabolic diseases that she may be hiding from us.
So, early morning vomiting is often a benign process in the dog. Therefore, we want to try those aforementioned steps with her. But if they don't settle her vomiting then the next step would be to make sure there isn't something more sinister starting to show early signs of its presence that needs to be nipped in the bud.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.