Dr. Nobuki
Dr. Nobuki, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian in Tampa, Florida
76407668

My dog has been on a balanced raw diet of raw bones, muscle

Customer Question

My dog has been on a balanced raw diet of raw bones, muscle meat, small amount of organ meat, pureed fresh vegetables and fruits (blueberries, apple), fish oil capsules, human probiotics, doggy multiple vitamin, b-complex, vitamin E, biotin, Solid Gold Seameal (contains Prozyme in it), and kelp. He gets animal proteins rotated (turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, and occasional venison). acouple times a week, he gets canned sardines with same supplements minus the fish oil capsules. He is 10 years old German Shepherd, extremely physically active, fetching ball, running in the yard, and walks 5 miles a day with me. He is an indoor dog.
Today, his stools had globs of mucus and had two loose bowel movements with mucus, but no blood. He does NOT have vomiting, and seems to be his usual healthy self.
Should I be concerned??? He's been on this diet for 8 years.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. Nobuki. How are you? A few loose bowel movements within a 24-48 hour period are not too concerning unless there is blood in the stool and/or vomiting. As pets get older, just like us, our gastrointesintal tracts change and sometimes this can occur. If the diarrhea becomes like water, has blood in it, vomiting starts or continues for another 1-2 days, I would at the very least have an exam and a fecal test performed to make sure the bacteria in the stool are normal and also there are no parasites in the stool.