Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

The tip of my dog's penis is sticking out. It has been for

Customer Question

The tip of my dog's penis is sticking out. It has been for awhile. He is always licking it, and sometimes there is puss. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today
First, if it continues to stay out and not recede into the prepuce this can potentially become an emergency
1.) No licking! Licking introduces oral bacteria and can cause an infection where there is not one. What he is trying to do is keep the tip moist so we have to stop the licking behavior
2.) Using ky jelly or vaseline on the exposed tip will help maintain lubrication and hopefully allow you to slip the tip back into the prepuce. You can use a moderate amount of lubrication and then if you are successful please keep him in one position and pinch the tip of the prepuce together to minimize the risk of relapse of the exposed tip
3.) If you are unable to get the tip back in because of swelling you can use granulated sugar to pull out the edema of the tip and hopefully shrink it down in order to replace it within the prepuce. Please try to minimize hair that is inverted in as well which will increase the risk of a relapse
If there is still no improvement then unfortunately you should consider a veterinary er where they can help replace the penis and minimize risk of necrosis or death of the exposed tissue. This tissue absolutely needs to stay moist to maintain health and if dried out it can lead to reduced blood flow and therefore necrosis.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogs
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know anything else I can do to assist you both today. I am on-line another 15 minutes tonight. Thank you and best of luck to you and Cohen...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Were they helpful to you both? Is Cohen back to normal?
I would love an update when you are able.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!