Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has a habit of chewing her paws til bleeding I always

Customer Question

my dog has a habit of chewing her paws til bleeding I always apply a teatree oil cream to stop infection which has worked well over the last 8 years but she still chews them. I would like to add something like oil of cloves to make them nasty to chew is this a good idea or is there some other mix I can use.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lady. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Tea Tree oil is toxic to dogs if taken internally or if absorbed across inflamed skin. You must not be using much since you have not seen a problem, but dog have become temporarily paralyzed from having tea tree oil applied to the skin:
http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/ken-tudor/2014/january/tea-tree-oil-safe-pets-31282
Chewing the feet can be a sign of an allergy to something in the environment, like pollen or dust or things in the home.
You could try something distasteful like Bitter Apple or Bitter Orange.
Antihistamines like Benadryl and Claritin might help. How much does she weigh? Benadryl is 1 millgram per pound of body weight 2 to 3 times daily; Claritin is about 5 mg once daily.
There are supplements that might help: nettles, fish oil, quercetin, vitamin E, anti oxidants, probiotics.
Topical cortisone ointment might help.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fay,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for inquiring everything is still the same at the moment with Lady I am awaiting for some bitter apple to arrive from England I ordered it on ebay because noone has heard of it here in Australia. I sprayed her front feet with cortisone and that must have helped because they do not seem as red as before. I will let you know how I go when the bitter apple arrives.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You could also try a topical preparation that contains anti yeast and bacterial ingredients, like Duoxo or Phytovet. I am not sure what is available there