Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate one Spiriva capsule

Customer Question

my dog ate one Spiriva capsule
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How long has it been since your dog ate the capsule?
2- How much does your dog weigh?
3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 20 min ago. the dog weight about 30lbs. no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I found peroxide
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, spiriva is poorly absorbed orally. It can cause urinary retention, vomiting, tachycardia (fast heart rate), etc.
To be on the safe side you can try to induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do:
1- Give her 1 (one) tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.
2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.
3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the spiriva in the vomit observe her for the next 24 hours. If you notice any changes in respiration, lethargy or excitement, difficulty urinating, etc have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter