Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr Peter - Once again, I know you are not online - but I

Customer Question

HI Dr Peter - Once again, I know you are not online - but I hope you wi see this when you are available. Effie still would not eat today - and I could not give her the pumpkin or miralax - soI decided to take her to the VRC hospital in Malvern, PA. It
is the Mayo Clinic of Vets in the area - and people do come from all over the country to see some of the doctors. One of their doctors repaired Effie's torn ACL 3 years ago - so I called for a gastroenterologist and was referred to their internal medicine
dr. I thank you for your help and I will keep you updated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention I had to leave her there overnight. They did several tests including blood tests and ultrasound and x-rays. She is dehydrated with a 104 temperature. They are going to give her doxycycline.
Again - I will keep you posted. THANK YOU for all of your help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello Adrienne, I am sorry to learn Effie had to be hospitalized. A temperature of a 104 is a fever and this can explain why she was not feeling well. I am happy to learn she is being seen by a great group of veterinarians. Thank you so much for the update. Please keep me posted. Let's hope for a quick recovery.
You're welcome.
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI Dr Peter - Again, I do not see you online - but I assume you will see this message when you do come online.To update: Effie was kept Wed, & Thu in the hospital. She received the doxycycline ( 6 bags (?), and had the blood tests. She also had an ultrasound, chest x-ray, urinalysis, and an x-ray they called 3 screens (?). Also she was given fluids for dehydration. She still had a bit of a fever when I took her home last night - about 102.4. They told me it might have been slightly elevated from stress. She was sent home with antibiotics and prilosec.She ate last night - finally, and this morning, a little this afternoon - and nothing tonight. Again, she is indicating she is hungry - but nothing appeals to her. I was told if she doesn't slowly return to normal - she was needed back at the hospital for autoimmune testing.They didnt answer me when I asked what that entails. :(
I think if I have to take her back to the hospital - I may go to the Univ of Penn with their Veterinary school & hospital. I am distressed they were unable to give me a definitive (or any) diagnosis. They are a good group at VRC - but where is the resolution??
If you are able to think of anything - please let me know
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Adrienne, I am sorry I was off. I have responded in another question you posted. Please, give me an update on Effie and were you able to get her to take the doxycycline?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry - I am not sure when you wrote back - I am writing now, It is Sat night a little after 9 PM (the website isn't posting times.) She is eating a little but I cannot get her to take her pills - any of them. I went to the pet store tonight and bought sort of a syringe without the needle and I am going to try to liquefy everything and do it that way. She won't eat the cream cheese anymore - which is how I have always given her any pill.
She IS hungry - but it is almost like something is presenting her from REALLY eating. All the tests they have done so far have come up empty. She ate a little more tonight - more than she has. I was warned not to give her the meds on an empty stomach - but since she ate tonight, I am going to try before she goes to bed.
It seems she is feeling better tonight, though, because she is starting to run away from me when I call her into the house :) - over the last few days, whenever I called her to come in - she just came in . . . and that usually doesn't happen.If she isn't much better by Monday, or at least continuing to make improvements, I am planning to take her to Penn.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am wondering if she DID get stung by that bee and her throat was swollen . . . or if she ingested something outside and it scratched her throat.??? Tomorrow will decide where we go from here, I guess.I just keep wondering what ould prevent her from eating other than a sore throat??Thank you for all of your help and input. If you think of anything, please let me know
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello Adrienne, What medications is she on besides doxycycline?Are you able to open her mouth? If so, I can explain to you how to give her the pills.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Adrienne, this is what you can do to give Effie the doxycycline: 1- You can place the pill in a little bit of peanut butter.2- Then, open her mouth place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold her mouth closed. 3- While holding the mouth closed direct her nose up and rub the throat to stimulate swallowing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I will do it. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes. Thanks so much
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hi Adrienne, How are you?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Adrienne, I am not currently set up to do live phone calls. I am so sorry. But, I am available now and will be for the rest of the afternoon here online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - perhaps one of these days. :) Effie is eating qute a bit more than she has for the last week. I gave her the pills with some sliced roast beef from the deli. I am keeping an eye on her and we shall see if she continues to progress. I am pleased with her moving forward today. I was beginning to panic. She is only 5.THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR PATIENCE. I will keep you updated. :)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Adrienne, that is really good news. I am happy to learn she is doing better. I will be on & off all day today if you have any additional questions or problems. I am sorry about the phone unavailability. But, I personally am not doing calls myself as I have some reservation as I do not know yet the stand of the AVMA on this issue and liability to me as independent contractor. This is something new and certainly times are changing. So, I am in a neutral position and waiting to see what happens in the near future. Again, I am sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's fine. I will talk to you online until you make your decision. Thanks again for your continuing help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for understanding Adrienne.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
:)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please save my phone number in case your decision is in favor of live calls
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I don't have your number Adrienne, it didn't post. But, I will let you know for sure as soon as start doing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fair enough. :)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
ok :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Peter - I saw you were online - so I just wanted to give you a bit of an update.It seems Effie is doing a bit better every day. I am begininng to think she had a problem with a tooth or somewhere in her mouth.
#1 - she WAS hungry and did want to eat - but it was as though something was preventing her for eating.
#2 - sometimes she swipes at the side of her muzzle, but I always assumed it's something in her eye b/c both dogs, even with brushing, shed like crazy and DO get hairs in their eyes.
And yesterday, I was rubbing the side of her face and she leaned into it as though it was helping.I had asked the ER doctor to check out her teeth and gums - and at first I was told her gums are black and it is hard to tell, and THEN the dr asked me if she would bite him if he touched her mouth!!!! I said; I DON'T KNOW - SHE'S A CHOW!! I said she has never aggressively bitten anyone - but, who knows??
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello Adrienne, I am happy to learn she is doing better.
Are you able to check her teeth? She did have a fever so she could have had an infection. If this happens again I would have family veterinarian examine her mouth.
Again, I am really happy to learn she is doing better. Thank you for the update.
Regards ***** ***** & Ivan.
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Licks and kisses from Effie and Ivan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And mommy. :)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Adrienne :)