DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog ran into a cactus the other day. Had two large needles penet

Customer Question

Hi my dog ran into a cactus the other day. Had two large needles penetrate the skin. One was about a quarter inch in the skin. We removed the needle and applied antibiotic neosporin. Today though I found a llump in the General vicinity of the site where the larger thorn went in. What could the lump ( size of small marble under the skin ) be? It seemed like the cactus needle didn't penetrate past the skin and into the muscle buy I'm not sure.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Puncture wounds of any kind are notorious for becoming infected as they track debris and bacteria into a very narrow hole that then seals over. The lump could be sign of infection. If it is hot and painful or becomes more swollen or begins to drain this would definitely indicate infection. There is also the small possibility that there is still a tip of the cactus spine in there causing inflammation and/or infection.It could just be some mild inflammation as well. You can try ice packing it for a little while and see if the swelling improves. If you have some dog pain meds like Rimadyl or Previcox or Metacam, you can give a dose.If the swelling is not improving by tomorrow or you see any of the things I talked about above or the dog seems feverish -depressed, not eating well, lethargic etc, get him to the vet very soon.I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.