Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Dr Kara, I accidentally gave our 6 pound dog a 270 mg tablet

Customer Question

Hi Dr Kara, I accidentally gave our 6 pound dog a 270 mg tablet of comfortis will he be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Chaboni and the Comfortis overdose. I'm so sorry he's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
While I look up some information, please let me know the following:
-Does Chaboni have any other medical conditions?
-Does he take any other medications?
-How long ago did this happen?
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to the product label.
https://www.elancocentral.com/comfortis-product-label.pdf
According to this, the only adverse affect seen in animals administered even 5 times the upper limit of the therapeutic dose was some vomiting.
Chaboni received significantly less than this, therefore, I'd expect little more than some mild vomiting that should go away on its own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any additional questions or does anything need clarification?
I'm happy to help.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask how Chaboni is doing. I hope your night was relatively uneventful. I'm curious to know if he even vomited or seems just fine.
Please take a moment to send me an update when you can. I end up being as attached to the pets I meet online as much as the ones I see in the clinic, so I've been thinking about you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chaboni. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry, I haven't checked my email. Chiboni is doing fine. He never even got sick. Thank you very much for the info and reassurance that he would be okay. It sure had us worried!
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so glad everything worked out well. :-)

Please do remember to take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response so I can receive credit for helping you.

Thank you.