Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Physical trauma can cause salivary gland cyst. How much effort

Customer Question

Physical trauma can cause salivary gland cyst. How much effort and how long does it take to create the cyst?
Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

A salivary mucocele (the cyst you are referring to) is due to leakage of saliva from the salivary gland or from its duct. Trauma is usually referred to as the underlying cause. Treatment of salivary mucoceles consists in surgical resection of the affected salivary gland. I am not sure what you meant by "effort" to create the cyst, but the saliva leaks passively from trauma, so it does not require any effort on the part of the dog, and dogs are constantly creating saliva, so the saliva would leak and create a salivary mucocele within several hours of the initial trauma.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Ann,

Thanks for your information. Are you saying the trauma is not outside force? Like someone hitting it hard on the gum area? Can you explain more on the underlying cause, what are they typically?

What color is it for the liquid drawn from the salivary gland cyst? (You have keep drawing it as the cyst keeps filling with the salivary).

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
No, it is definitely outside force. It can be trauma to the neck or face. Any trauma can do it... a fall or tumble, a kick, a dog fight, etc. There is no "typical" injury. The color of the liquid would be saliva, so it would be clear, or blood-tinged, so it would be pink.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see so outside force. Does it have to hit really hard to make it happen? And the saliva will fill in hours right? When you say pink, it is like light pink, or it could be vivid beautiful pink?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
It could be any shade of pink, or even reddish if there is enough blood in it. Mild trauma could do the trick if it hit just right. And the saliva would fill within hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see. And then it will keep filling. The only way to stop it is surgery. Right? Thanks,

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, unfortunately, the only treatment is to have it surgically removed. Please let me know if you have further questions, and I would be happy to assist you. Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Also lots of cases of benedryl and convenia causing seizure have been reported. But why for veterinarian, there is no official warning of these side effects?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl is one of the safest drug known to man, and it is safe for pregnant women and pregnant dogs and babies. But just like any drug, when they do drug trials, you have to report any problem that any animal has. The incidence of seizures on the drugs you mentioned is equal to the incidence of seizures in dogs drinking water. But they are still required to report it. We have not had any problems with either drug. Hope this helps answer your questions!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm interesting, many people (consumer end) have talked about the unknown natures of benadryl and how tricky and dangerous it can be sometimes and causing seizure etc. Convenia is not safe too and has caused death.

But when it comes to veterinarian, they always say it is fine, it is safe, they never heard it causes any problem.

I wonder if it is because the veterinarian field just haven't made it official yet to record its deadly nature yet.

Sometimes there are not so safe drugs still being used even it is controversial. I am not exactly sure about benadryl and convenia. But there are definitely controversial drugs out there being used, till it was eventually or officially banned I guess.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
The causal relationship has not been proven for those drugs. We are all too well aware of those claims. Did you have anymore questions about the salivary cysts? I am home from work now and getting ready to put my children to bed, but I didn't want to miss it if you had another question about your dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Let me think about it. If I do, you can answer it tomorrow and that is not a problem at all.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Great, I'm happy to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok another question is, the vet prescribed benadryl to my dog for no reason. And even I asked the vet to explain why, it never responded to the question. In this case, what should I do?

Thanks,

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
One of the side effects of benadryl is dry mouth, which presumes decreased saliva production. So giving benadryl could help prevent the cyst from filling up as much or as quickly. As with every medication, it is your choice whether or not to give it. Since Benadryl is one of the safest medications out there, I would give it if this were my dog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Benadryl was given for no reason except 'claimed' reasons. The very second the vet saw the dog's belly, it immediately claims it is red and has allergy. The vet didn't even touch the pet or exam the vet while sitting away from the dog, and given that the claim was made so quickly(exactly the second it sees the belly), plus the belly is having a normal color and no sign of itching. The claim was entirely false.

And as we discussed already, many consumers are aware Benadryl is not that safe in fact.

What is even more, I told the vet the dog has allergy spray at home that I could use for the belly, just as I finished saying this, the vet right away told the technician to prescribe Benadryl. I almost passed out at the moment.

My instinct told me something quite weird was going on but my logic brain told me to listen to the so called 'expert'. What a mistake! Of course, psychologist will tell you it is the instinct that is telling you the truth. With life experience gained, instinct is also the one who tells the truth before evidence has ever been identified.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Okay. It seems that you have an inherent distrust of doctors and medications, and I am a doctor who prescribes medications daily. Hence, I feel that you may be better helped by a different person, because I really can't agree with the statements you are making here, and so it is hard for me to proceed with giving you further advice. I will "opt out" of assisting you and see if another expert here has more insight for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info and I appreciate your help along the way. Unfortunately sometimes the truth might not be what every vet want to hear even enough fact has been given that the benadryl was given for no reason. And the "inherent distrust of doctors and medications" has no base to back on.

As a matter of fact, the majority of the vets will cover each other up. But nothing changes the fact the benadryl was given for no reason. If there is a solid reason, the vet itself would have answered the question already.